Advanced Laser Dentistry Makes Treatment Comfortable and Effective
Dr. Robert Rapisarda uses the latest technology to provide the very best care. To ensure maximum patient comfort, he uses laser dentistry to treat periodontal disease, provide cosmetic contouring, and eliminate advanced tooth decay through root canal therapy. Laser dentistry at our Barre, MA, office helps to ensure that your treatment is efficient, comfortable, and accurate, with minimal downtime or side effects.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Laser dentistry is highly versatile. Dr. Rapisarda can remove tiny amounts of tissue, providing customized results for a stunning smile. He can also minimize the impact to the surrounding tissue. Lasers eliminate the vibrations, heat, and loud noises of dental drills. Meanwhile, the laser can seal blood vessels for faster healing, minimize swelling, and faster recovery. Lasers also eviscerate bacteria. In this way, Dr. Rapisarda can more effectively treat gum disease, and he can virtually eliminate the risk of cross contamination.
Comfortability for the Patient
Shaking (vibration), pressure, as well as heat are the core reasons for pain associated with the traditional dental drill. Because laser procedures for both the teeth and gums do not create heat, pressure or vibration, most dental procedures can be completed with less need for anesthesia (needles), decreased use of the drill, less numbness.In certain gum procedures, laser dentistry decreases bleeding, post-operative discomfort, swelling and the necessity for pain medication.
Fewer Dental Visits to Fewer Offices
Because many times anesthesia (shots) are not necessary, Dr. Rapisarda can work in all areas of the mouth in just one visit. This advanced laser technology also allows Dr. Rapisarda the ability to deliver many procedures which previously were referred to specialists.
Decreased Swelling and Bleeding
Because the cutting action of the laser is minimally invasive, even gentle, many gum procedures can be done with a bit of or no bleeding. Hand in hand with this swelling is reduced.
Lasers when used to remove decay, can add strength to the bond between the tooth and the tooth colored filling material.
Soft Tissue Lasers
Diode dental lasers are especially beneficial in soft tissue treatments. These tools can eliminate tiny amounts of tissues to address both cosmetic and health issues. Dr. Rapisarda uses diode lasers to treat:
- Periodontal disease: Gum disease can lead to tooth loss, jaw recession, heart disease, and other conditions. Dr. Rapisarda can use a diode laser to eliminate bacteria and diseased tissue.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: If a wisdom tooth becomes impacted, it can result in a host of complications. Dr. Rapisarda can use a laser to remove obstructive tissue before extracting your tooth.
- Biopsies: Chronic oral sores, white and red patches, and gum inflammation can be signs of oral cancer. If he detects any of these symptoms during a routine exam, Dr. Rapisarda can remove a small amount of tissue and send it to a lab for a biopsy.
- Gum contouring: Gum contouring is a simple cosmetic procedure that can have a dramatic effect on your smile. If you have an uneven gum line, or if excess tissue makes your teeth look proportionately small, Dr. Rapisarda can remove a small amount of tissue for a healthier-looking, more symmetrical smile. Gum contouring is often performed in preparation for a porcelain veneer.
- Frenectomies: A frenum is a small flap of tissue located between your lips and gums, as well as underneath your tongue. Excess frenum tissue can cause a gap between your teeth, or it can make you “tongue-tied.” Using a laser, your dentist can easily refine these tissues.
Hard Tissue Lasers
Dr. Rapisarda uses hard tissue lasers to provide:
- Preparation for a filling: If you have a cavity, Dr. Rapisarda will need to remove damaged tissue before he can place a filling. He can often do this very quickly with a hard tissue laser instead of a drill.
- Root canal therapy: During root canal therapy, Dr. Rapisarda will remove infected tissue from within the tooth. Using lasers, he can disinfect the emptied pulp chamber to prevent future decay before placing a dental crown.
- Cavity detection: We proudly offer DIAGNOdent® lasers in cavity detection. This tool measures the levels of fluorescence in your tooth. If Dr. Rapisarda detects an unusually high level, it can indicate unseen decay. Thanks to DIAGNOdent®, he can often detect cavities before they cause discomfort or significant damage.